ITIL certifications renewal
ITIL recertification: how to renew your certificate
In the Continuing Professional Development Programme created by PeopleCert, ITIL certifications have to be renewed within three years from the certificate award date.
When do I have to renew my ITIL certification?
Candidates have to update their ITIL certificate/s within three years from the issue date.
- If you certified before 30th June 2020: you will have until 1 July 2023 to renew your ITIL certification, regardless of the original award date.
- If you certified after 30th June 2020: you will have to renew you certification/s within 3 years of the original award date.
You can discover the expiry date of your ITIL certificate logging into your PeopleCert account.
How can I renew my ITIL certification?
You can choose among different ways to maintain your ITIL certificate.
- You can retake the same ITIL exam before the expiration date.
- You can take further courses and certifications, but these must be included in the same product suite/family of the certification to renew. This means that, to renew an ITIL certificate, you will have to take another ITIL exam in the ITIL 4 certification scheme.
- You can maintain your certification by collecting and logging CPD points through the CPD program. Learn more about the Continuing Professional Development programme (option available from March 2023).
What happens if I don’t renew my ITIL certification on time?
ITIL recertification: Which exam can I take to renew my certificate?
If you decide to renew your ITIL certificate by taking another course and exam, you should take an exam within the same product suite. This means that you cannot update your ITIL certificate by taking a PRINCE2 exam, for example.
ITIL® 4 Product Suite includes all ITIL® 4 certifications.
What if I have to renew more than one ITIL certification?
If you achieved more than one ITIL certificate, the first certificate obtained will get the same renewal date of the last ITIL certificate you obtained. This means that, if you have more than one certification in the same product suite they will share the same renewal date.
For example, if you obtained an ITIL 4 Foundation certificate in December 2022 and another ITIL 4 Managing Professional certificate in January 2023, both certifications will expire in January 2026, so, it is enough to take and pass just one exam to maintain both.
Will ITIL v3 certifications have to be renewed?
No, since ITIL v3 certification scheme have been withdrawn from 1st January 2023, the maintenance process cannot be applied to it. You will have to start the ITIL 4 journey.
Contact us to receive a special offer for your ITIL recertification!